What is Monkeypox?
According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control), it is an infection of the monkeypox virus.
Smallpox and monkeypox are both of the same family of viruses called variola virus.
Monkeypox and smallpox have similar symptoms:
- muscle aches
- lymph nodes swelling
- feeling of discomfort in general
Good news is monkeypox is usually not fatal for those infected.
Increased risk for those that are immunosuppressed, have disease and or other comorbidities.
Serious and high risk for people that have:
- general malignancy
- tumor necrosis factor inhibitors
- high dose corticosteroids
- solid organ transplants
- alkylating agents based therapy
- children younger than 8 years old
Also for some people with certain Skin Conditions
- herpes simplex virus infection
- varicell zoster virus infection
- severe acne
- diaper rash with denuded skin
- Darier disease
Women concerns for Monkeypox:
- breastfeeding women
Some people with one or more complications and comorbidities:
- gastroenteritis with severe diarrhea, nausea and vomiting
- secondary bacterial skin infection
Abnormal monkeypox infected areas:
Monkeypox Treatment (officially approved by the FDA)
Currently there is no specific treatment for the monkeypox virus.
The FDA has approved Tecovirimat also known as TPOXX, ST-246.
– is an antiviral medication, pill or injection, to treat smallpox in children and adults.
Children that weigh less than 28 pounds, Tecovirimat capsules can be opened and mixed with food for easier ingestion.
This drug has shown promise in clinical trials of various animal species for the infection of orthopoxviruses class, which monkeypox belongs to.
Tecovirimat was well tolerated and had very few side effects in the laboratory.
Alternate Monkeypox Treatments:
Vaccinia Immune Globulin Intravenous (VIGIV)
- is not approved by the FDA except for severe cases of monkeypox
- is an antivrial medication approved by the FDA to treat AIDS patients for cytomegalovirus retinitis
- it is unknown if cidofovir (Vistide) can be effective against monkeypox virus
- has shown effectiveness against monkeypox in vitro and animal studies
- is approved by the FDA as antiviral medication to treat adults and children for small pox
- like Cidofovir, it has shown to be effective again orthopoxviruses like monkeypox virus in vitro and animal studies.
Monkeypox Treatment Price
You can special order monkeypox treatment Tecovirimat, TPOXX & ST-246 here.