As a Hepatitis C advocate, I strongly encourage you to be diligent in taking your daily dose of Epclusa. Missing doses may decrease the effectiveness of the medication in combating the virus.
Epclusa operates by blocking specific proteins and enzymes required by the Hepatitis C virus to reproduce. Hence, skipping a dose could result in a decline of the drug’s concentration in your bloodstream, which may not be sufficient enough to halt the virus’ growth.
If you do miss a dose, do not panic. Simply take it as soon as you remember. If it’s almost time for your next dose, continue to take it at the usual time, and immediately inform your healthcare provider about the missed dose.
To make sure you are consistently taking your Epclusa, it’s important to adopt effective reminders. Here are five strategies that could help:
- Take your tablets first thing in the morning after waking up
- Set a reminder on your phone
- Enlist the support of a friend or family member to remind you daily
- Use a calendar to mark off each day that you have taken your Epclusa
- Invest in a pill box that holds a week’s worth of doses and fill it once a week, so you can easily see if you’ve taken your daily dose.
Epclusa treatment typically lasts 12 weeks and is taken once a day. Staying on track with your medication regimen is crucial to the success of your treatment journey.